Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hollandaise Sauce


Every time I make hollandaise sauce, I am reminded of how easy it is, and I ask myself why I don't make it every day! Most people have tried something called hollandaise, but many people have not had the "real thing". I was given the packaged stuff as a kid and decided that I hated hollandaise. Of course, once I tried the good stuff, I couldn't get enough of it!

Hollandaise makes practically anything taste better, but it is especially popular on fish, chicken, assorted cooked veggies, and the ever-popular poached egg (with or without ham).

This recipe can easily be adapted for intro by using ghee in place of the butter. I could hardly taste the difference myself. I promise you, boiled veggies and meat taste a lot better with hollandaise!

Ingredients
3 egg yolks
Between 1 and 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (I like it with 1 1/2. The classic is 1).
1/2 cup cold butter (or ghee), divided
Sea salt, to taste

Method

Mix egg yolks and lemon juice in medium saucepan (cold). Add half of the butter and whisk constantly over low heat.* When butter has melted, add second half, and continue whisking until it is completely melted and sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and add salt to taste. Serve immediately.

Any remaining sauce may be refrigerated and "refreshed" by whisking in a very small amount of hot water before serving. You can also use this technique, if your sauce is too thick. If your eggs have curdled, you can strain the sauce through a fine sieve, and you should be good to go.
*You have to be a little patient here, as the slow melting of the butter allows the sauce to become creamy without curdling. I kind of wedge my whisk into the block of butter and rub it around on the bottom of the pan to melt it.





3 comments:

  1. Oh yummy! I am going to try this soon, I know my kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to put this on some fresh asparagus. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son has made this a couple of times to put on fried eggs. I've never been a fan since I don't like cooked egg whites. I never thought about putting this on vegetables! Our hens are beginning to lay again and I need to find ways to use eggs so I'm glad you mentioned it on the GAPShelp list today. :-) I'm going to make some today. I even have asparagus in the fridge. And I'm hungry! :-) Looks and sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.