Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Carrot Soup

I have to confess that I haven't eaten soup in at least a couple of weeks. My excuse? A broken immersion blender. I really like pureed soups with my homemade chicken broth. Well, a trip to Goodwill yesterday yielded a "new" immersion blender, so I decided to make my favorite carrot soup tonight.







Ingredients

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter (or ghee)
1 1/2 large onions, chopped
2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 quarts (or more) homemade chicken broth
2 tsp. ground coriander
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish

Method

Sautee the onions, ginger and carrots in the fat until onions are translucent. Add coriander, salt and pepper. Stir for about a minute. Add chicken broth and cook until vegetables are very soft. Puree. Add more liquid, if necessary. This is good with coconut milk too, but I don't have any that's suitable on hand at the moment.

You can leave out the coriander for the intro diet, if you are avoiding spices. You can also substitute the fat without worrying.

3 comments:

  1. Um...This is the most freakishly delicious-looking page!!! Is all of it 100% SCD & GAPS? (Because if so, I can link to it on my blog's recipe page!)

    Fantastic photos, descriptions and recipes! My eyes bugged out at these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Baden! We strive for 100% GAPS compliant, though one or two SCD ingredients may make it in. We might make a mistake from time to time, as we're new to the diet, but we're happy to fix it if we do.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, I just made this, and it's fantastic! Everything should have ginger and coriander.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.